The 5th Swiss Symposium Thermal Energy Storage will be held at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts on Jan. 26, 2018.
This year's symposium will focus on the importance of energy storage in energy systems and industrial processes; the economic aspects of thermal storage; and recent findings about new storage materials. Eleven presentations, all in English, are scheduled:
• "Macro-encapsulated Phase Change Materials for Thermal Energy Storage," Dieter Brüggemann, University of Bayreuth, Germany
• "Fast Loadable Phase Change Heat Storages for Multiple Applications," Sven Kunkel, Matthias Rädle, University of Applied Science Mannheim, Germany
• "Future Directions in Thermal Energy Storage Systems and Applications," Ibrahim Dinçer, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Ontario, Canada
• "Applying PCM Beyond the Building Sector," Esther Kieseritzky, Rubitherm Technologies GmbH, Germany
• "Thermal Recuperation with CrodaTherm PCM Using Axiotherm Heat Storage Technology," Yvonne Reimann, Croda GmbH, Germany; Dirk Büttner, Axiotherm GmbH, Germany
• "Integration of Variable Renewable Energy in Switzerland – Implications for Storage Technologies and System Flexibility," Tom Kober, Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland
• "Thermal Heat and Renewable Energy Integration in the Industry," François Maréchal, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
• "Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Horizontal Packed Bed Thermal Energy Storages," Marco Prenzel, Vladimir Danov, Siemens AG, Germany
• "Seasonal Heat Storage, the Underestimated Pillar of our Future Energy System, Examples of Realized Projects," Stefan Brändle, Simon Büttgenbach, Amstein + Walthert AG, Switzerland
• "Large Thermal Energy Storage for Large Cities – A New Dimension," Hannes Poier, TU Graz / S.O.L.I.D. Gesellschaft für Solarinstallation und Design GmbH, Austria
• "Ecological Comparison of Thermal and Electrical Storages for Load Shifting in PV and Heat Pump Systems," Michel Haller, Hochschule für Technik Rapperswil, Switzerland
The registration fee is 300 Swiss francs. Lunch is included. To register, visit https://www.hslu.ch/en/lucerne-school-of-engineering-architecture/campus/veranstaltungen/2018/01/26/sstes-2018.